Friday, June 15, 2007

"Going for a Ride"

Back in the '50's and early '60's it was a common thing for my parent's to throw us in the car to "go for a ride." Sometimes there would be an actual destination, sometimes just a general direction. A lot depended on available time. Little time short ride, long time long ride. Often we'd bring friends with us.

My mother would say,"We're going to Glens Falls to see Aunt Margaret and Uncle Jim" or we're going up the new Northway." That was fun because we never knew how much further they would be. I can remember when it stopped at Lake George. We'd go to the farm in Argyle or to Cobleskill to visit Aunt Lil and Uncle Ted. All this pre - dated I88, I87, I90, so it took longer then.

My all time favorite ride story, with my parents, was when I was in 3rd grade. My teacher, Miss Di Michael's asked the class if we were doing anything special over the Spring vacation. I told her and the class that we were going to Peru to visit my father's relatives. She was excited for me and asked if we were flying? She reacted strangely when I informed her we were driving.

Little did I know that there was a Peru, New York! Hell, I was only 7 or 8.

1 comment:

Nick Marino said...

Was there a little guy running next to the car that no one else saw?

Powered By Blogger